Education in Canada is under the complete jurisdiction of the provinces and territories (States) and as such, there is no Federal (Central) education system in Canada. In keeping with the national commitment to education, public education in Canada is free up to and including secondary school ( 12th Std), in all the provinces. At the post-secondary level, institutions are divided into community colleges and universities. A significant number of university graduates attend college upon completion of their degree in order to acquire vocational skills for employment.


The degrees & diplomas from Canadian Institutions are among the most widely recognized in the world. The education system in Canada encompasses of both public funded & private institutions. Students have a diverse choice of 92 Universities & 175 Community Colleges offering a wide array of programmes. While pursuing their studies, the students, are allowed to work for the first 6 months on-campus and thereafter off-campus.



is a qualification awarded upon successful completion of a programme which is usually one year in length.


is a qualification awarded on the basis of one or two year's of successful study.

Advanced Diploma:

Is a 3 years program some of which may lead to a Bachelors Degree.

Bachelors Degrees:

Are awarded by Universities/ University Colleges/ Community Colleges after four years of full-time study and lead to graduate level studies.

Post Graduate Diplomas/Certificates:

It lead to a Masters Degree. These programs have work terms which provide full-time opportunities to gain practical experience along with theoretical studies. A typical co-op term lasts 12 to 17 weeks. The prerequisites to participate in these programs is a Bachelors Degree of 3 or 4 years duration.

Master Degree:

Is an option for Bachelors Degree. Graduates who have an interest in further learning and research, and for those who want to broaden their career possibilities. It is for 2 yrs duration and can be pursued after a 4 yrs Bachelors or a 3 yrs Bachelors & a 1 year Post Graduate Diploma from Canada.

Doctorate or PhD:

Is a degree ranking above the Masters Degree and generally requires four to seven years to complete.

Q. What is the difference between a University and a College?

A. Universities are educational institutions attended after at least 12 years of school, or after secondary school, for studies leading to a degree and research. All Canadian Universities four year bachelors degree programs; most offer one to two years master's degree and a number also offer doctoral or PhD programs. Bachelors Degrees can be granted by Universities, some colleges and some Institutes in Canada. Community colleges are two-year institutions that offer technical or vocational courses, or courses for transfer to a university, leading to a certificate or diploma. These colleges do not generally offer degree programs.

Q. Can I study and work part-time to help finance myself in Canada?

A. Yes, you can in certain circumstances. However, when applying for a student authorization you must be able to prove to the visa officer that you have enough finances to support yourself for the entire length of your study program. International students can work on the University/College campus, where as off campus work is permitted only after 6 months. Full-time students can work in their institutions without the need for an employment authorization. International students can work up to 20 hours per week during their studies and 40 hours per week during vacation. Students can work full time off campus during co-op terms. You are allowed to work in Canada for 1 to 2 years after completing your academic programe depending on which province you study in.

Q. How much value would a Diploma hold?

A. Colleges offers a wide variety of Career-oriented programs like Advance Diplomas/ Diplomas/ Certificates. These programs are specially designed to give students the opportunity to learn and develop many marketable skills in their preferred career. It emphasizes on the technical aspects providing hands-on experience and fundamentals of the program. These programs give the students a practical background that employers demand and helps them get jobs easily. It may often happen that students who have completed a vocational program may get better jobs/salaries than those who have studied in a University Degree Program.

Q. Do I need Health Insurance?

A. Yes. Health Insurance is mandatory. You will have to arrange for medical coverage before you arrive in Canada. Medical coverage varies from province to province, and sometimes from university to university within each province. Most of the Institutes have health insurance included in their tuition fees. You may also take health insurance from Saudi Arabia.

Q. Is my spouse/dependant allowed to work in Canada?

A. If you want to work in Canada after you complete your academic program you must apply for their own work permit. Your Spouse Permit will be valid for the same period that you are authorized to study in Canada.

Q. Can I work after Graduation?

A. If you want to work in Canada after you complete your academic program you must apply for a work permit under the Post Graduate Work Permit program. It allows you to gain valuable Canadian Work experience in the field of your specialization. This program allows all participants to work up to 1 year in Montreal, Toronto & Vancouver areas or 2 years else where in Canada. Work Permit under the 'Post Graduate Wok Permit Program' cannot be valid for a longer period than the length of your Studies.

Q. How do I obtain an extension of my student Permit?

A. If you wish to extend your student Permit, you can do so within Canada. Contact the nearest Canadian Immigration Centre at least 2 months before the expiry of your authorization.


All overseas students are required to obtain a Student Authorization and Visa before going to Canada for studies. Students must also meet the requirements of the Canadian Immigration Act and Regulations. Under normal circumstances, allow at least 4-6 weeks for your visa to be processed.The application should be submitted well in advance of the planned date of departure to ensure that the processing of the application can be completed on time.
Submit the completed application kit to the immigration section of the Canadian High commission. Kindly note that all documents submitted, must be photocopies.


Known for their hospitality & tolerance.
Multi-cultural society.
English & French speaking.
Immigrants from over 240 countries.


33,390,141 (as on July 2007 esf)
Lowest population density in the world
85% Canadians live within 300 kms of the US border
More than 6 lakh Canadians trace their roots back to India
Welcoming over 2 lakh immigrants per year


Canada has 4 distinct seasons.
Day time Summer temperature rises to 35 o C
Lows of - 15 o C are not uncommon for Winters in not coastal Canada.
Moderate Temperatures are the norm during Spring & Fall.


Victoria etc.


Canada is bordered by three oceans the Arctic, the Pacific & the Atlantic.
Niagara Falls.
Lush coastline and Rocky mountains.
Great lakes, rugged hills & picturesque coastline
Big Skies of the Prairies
43 National Parks
6 Time Zones


Ice Hockey & Basketball
Skiing & Skating
Rugby & Soccer
Cinemas, Theatre & Film Societies
Pubs and Night Clubs
Canada plays host to more than 175,000 International students in any given year. Increasingly, Canada is becoming the country of choice for students from all parts of the world.


Canada spends more per capita income on its education system than any other country in the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) . A degree from a Canadian university is recognized world wide as a result, international students who graduate from Canadian universities enjoy successful and prosperous careers. Canada is known for its quality education & Competitive entry requirements.


Canadian Institutes, charge lower tuition fees for international students than their counterparts in competing countries and at the same time, maintain excellent education quality. . However as the fees are more affordable, admissions are more competitive. Over the last three years, Canada's inflation rate has remained one of the lowest in the industrialized world.


International students can apply for their Permanent Residency which takes up to 15 to 18 months from within Canada. However they need to meet the minimum eligibility criteria of 67 Points.


For the past 9 consecutive years, a United Nation survey has found Canada to be the best place in the world to live. The survey conducted every year, evaluates quality of life in 174 countries, using over 200 performance indicators. Canada earns particularly high marks for its access to education, high life expectancy, and low crime rates.


Every step is taken to ensure the safety of students on Canada's campuses. Most universities / colleges have their own campus security 24 hours a day. There are also " Walk Safe" programmes to assist people in getting to public transportation during late hours.


C anada is a bilingual country with two official language, English and French. The vast majority (75%) of Canada's French speaking inhabitants live in the province of Quebec, which is located in the eastern part of the country but there are French-speaking communities throughout the country. English is the main language of communication in all provinces other than Quebec.


  • On Campus :

    College hostels (self catered or fully catered)
  • Off Campus :

    Renting a flat / appartment
  • Homestay :

    With the Families near the institution.
  • Early application for accommodation arrangements are advisable.


The average international student in Australia spends about A$1000 per month on accommodation, food, clothing, entertainment, transport, international and domestic travel, telephone and incidental costs. While this is a realistic guide, it is important to remember that individual circumstances will vary by location, course and lifestyle


For Undergraduate &Graduate students:International students are expected to start planning for their studies in Canada 8 weeks in advance. The major intake for Canada primarily is 'Fall' i.e. September. The other intake is in the month of 'Winter' i.e. January, but it depends on the students program and the institution that he/she is applying to. Very few institutes might have the May intake as well. For ESL Students: There are available start dates at most English school every Monday 
  • The admission process takes:
  • Day to two weeks for ESL
  • Four to Six weeks for Undergraduate.
  • Six to Eight weeks for Geaduate.

Required Docs:

  • English

  • Passport Copy
  • Bank Certificate
  • Undergraduate
  • Passport Copy
  • Bachelor Certificate.
  • Bachelor Transcripts
  • Recommendations (3)
  • Work Experience letter ( If available)
  • CV (If available)
  • Bank Certificate
  • Graduate
  • Passport Copy
  • Bachelor Certificate.
  • Bachelor Transcripts
  • Recommendations (3)
  • Work Experience letter
  • CV
  • Personal statement
  • Bank Certificate


International students are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week on campus for the first 6 months and thereafter can work off-campus up to 20 hours per week.


International students graduating from a program of 2 years or more in length would be eligible for a 2 year work permit after graduation. However, this is applicable if the student has studied in cities other than Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal and is also employed outside this area. In these 3 cities, students are eligible for a 1 year work permit after graduation. The experience gained would provide them an opportunity to work in an international setting and at the same time allow them to earn the money invested.


Canada is an international leader in computers, networking, wireless communications and has a reputation of excellence in sectors such as telecommunications transportation, engineering, micro electronics, hydroelectric power, biotechnology, food & beverage processing, geometrics, ocean & environmental industries, aerospace etc. Some top Canadian companies, recognized worldwide are Black Berry, IMAX, BATA, Corel etc. The Gourmand Report ranked 18 of North America's top 40 Electrical Engineering Faculties in Canada. The Global Competitiveness Report 2000 ranked Canada 1st in Knowledge workers.


A work Permit allows an eligible visitor to reside and work in Canada for a limited period of time, and restrictions are usually placed on the type of employment which can be pursued. One can apply for a work permit form outside Canada only if one has a job offer from a Canadian employer though tit will not, by itself, lead to a Canadian Permanent Resident status. Work permit is not an immigration document as it does not permit to live in Canada permanently. In order to live permanently in Canada you must qualify under an immigration category such as a Skilled worker.